In this conversation on the ECOMsquare Overshare Podcast with Haruki Nakagawa, Shawn O'Neill from SpeedSense discusses the importance of website performance, particularly in the e-commerce industry. A fast website is crucial for user satisfaction, revenue, and metrics like bounce rates.
Top 5 takeaways:
- 💨 Defining fast: It is essential to establish what constitutes a fast website by focusing on rendering and interactivity, rather than server or database performance alone.
- 🏅 Competitor comparison: E-commerce businesses should aim to be as fast as or faster than their competitors to provide a better user experience and maintain an edge in the market.
- 🌐Core Web Vitals: Google uses metrics such as Largest Contentful Paint (LCP), First Input Delay (FID), and Cumulative Layout Shift (CLS) to assess the user experience on a website, which impacts SEO ranking.
- ✍️Best practices: Avoid practices that slow down rendering, such as A/B testing or excessive click tracking, to optimize the user experience and overall website performance.
- 📈 Regular assessment: Monitor your website's performance using tools like PageSpeed Insights or CrUX (Chrome User Experience Report) to ensure you stay ahead of the competition and maintain a high-quality user experience.